Skip to main content

Reflection

Reflection
Critical thinking, the media blogs specifically, were a great way for me to improve my analysis skills and give me a better understanding of the way that media is used to manipulate me. Looking back at my first media blog, I discussed how happy I was that media is becoming more inclusive. I was excited about people of all colors, genders, sexual orientations, and body types were being included in the media we consume, but after the class I realized the true reasons these people are a part of advertisements. It is all for monetary gain. Companies do not care about inclusion, they only care about ways to make money and appeal to a broader audience in order to do so. The same companies that sold one body and one skin type, have somehow managed to sell me my own identity, commodifying people or color and other minorities as a way to get more money.
Once we isolate the true drive of all advertisements and all companies, it is much easier to see through them and not as easily be affected. Now when I see ads on my feed, I am able to recognize them for what they are. A company selling me a false version of reality, the way they want me to see the world. After becoming more knowledgeable about the underlying messages in advertisements and the way they are used to manipulate us, I am not as willing to fall for an ad. The scariest thing about it, is how effective these ads really are. Before this class, I could see an ad for Coke and felt motivated to buy some. I knew that buying a Coke wouldn’t make me any friends or suddenly make me a party animal, but the ideas portrayed in advertisements in things like the Share a Coke campaign made me feel like I had to find a coke with my name on it, or force myself to like soda in order to fit in. Now, companies are going to have to think of some better sells. The most useful thing I learned in this class in terms of identifying hidden messages in ads was categorizing them into the 15 Appeals. By understanding things like the need for affiliation and the need for attention, as well as other appeals, it is easier to break down the messages within the ads and be so easily influenced by them.
While I wish I could say I consume much less media specifically because of this class, unfortunately I cannot. I have restricted my use, but more because I don’t have the time for or easy access to it, not necessarily because I am boycotting it all together. However, since breaking my phone I have had to spend a lot of time without social media and the impact has had both positives and negatives. For one, I feel like I miss out on lots of different things, like major online events or even messages from my friends asking me for help with a problem. Due to this, I felt sort of disconnected from the people around me. It is saddening to realize that people are so dependent on media and phones that not having one can seriously impact communication with people, breaking apart connections that need the internet in order to thrive. At the same time, I appreciate the time I spend with my friends more and have so much more to say to them, so maybe it isn’t all that bad. It is all about finding a balance between using social media and living your life, all while remembering to be an educated consumer and use your knowledge of media in order to create a new relationship with the modern world of technology.
Image

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Politics in the English Language (Orwell)

1. I agree with Orwell's position. While basic language may be an instrument of growth, we use language for more than mere communication He goes into detail about how politicians twist their words and intentionally create vagueness to confuse and appease the masses- something that had been a successful political tactic. When used properly, language is for communication, but when used more manipulatively, it can become a weapon, with fallacies illustrating the way we use language to a achieve a negative goal. Even as I right this, I am torn between sounding super professional and using a bunch of fillers words so I can make this blogpost reach half a page. 2.Orwell objects to ready made phrases and mixed metaphors because they are overdone and no longer cause an image to form in a reader's mind, they are often misused, and when they are utilized, it is because writes have become lazy and are trying to avoid investing time and effort into creating their own unique phrases.

feminism in media

What does it mean to be a feminist? By definition, feminism means “ the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.” So anyone who believes that men and women should be equal meets this definition. Unfortunately, this definition of a feminist has been warped by the media to mean something else entirely. Now a feminist is seen as someone who hates men, believes that women should be in power, and doesn’t shave their legs (what men usually believe) or must always be going to protests, advocating for equal rights, stopping every person that makes a joke, and owning their body 100%, someone who never does things for a man (what women usually believe). The problem is, nothing good comes out of these definitions. The only result is people feeling left out of “being a feminist” or do not want to identify with that term because it stands for something that many think of as bad. Media has been the main factor in spreading these two definitions. Look at things like the

no one reads anymore and i am distraught

What happened to reading? What happened to getting into bed late at night with a book and not wanting to sleep because you are in the middle of a good chapter but every chapter is a good chapter so once you finish the good chapter you still aren’t ready to sleep because there are so many more and your parents come into your room and it’s 11 but you are in third grade and your bedtime is 8:30 so you wait for them to sleep then you pull out the super cool pen you have that has a flashlight at the end of it then you read until you fall asleep with the book in your lap and when you wake up in the morning the light is still on and you have lost your page so you quickly search for it as you rub the sleep out of your eyes and hurry up to get dressed so you can read on the couch? Just me? Oddly specific anecdote aside, it has been so long since I have been able to get together with someone and talk about a book in depth. Not a school book, but a book we have both read in our spare time